Knowledge discovery in neglected tropical diseases
PhD scholarship in Computer Science
(part of a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network)
Institution: BMD Software and University of Aveiro, Portugal
Supervisor: José Luis Oliveira (email@example.com)
Co-Supervisor: Maria Zolfo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stipend: ~1,400 € /month (net) + mobility allowances
Starting date: Sep 1, 2015
Duration: 3 years
Deadline for applications: 22th June 2015 at 17:00 GMT
This international project aims investigating and developing an Epi-surveillance knowledge system for neglected tropical diseases, which is able to gather and process biomedical data (EHR, images, scientific documents, knowledge databases,..), with the goal of providing: 1) expert medical recommendations; 2) treatment outcome monitoring, and 3) the generation of interactive clinical cases for educational purposes. A case study will be conducted to enhance the global control of Leishmaniasis, a major public health and veterinary problem that affects currently around 10 million people.
This project is part of EUROLEISH-NET (www.euroleish.net/, a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MSC-ITN), which aims to promote scientific excellence for 15 PhD students in several complementary disciplines, from molecular science, to computer science and medicine.
The student will enrol a successful joint doctoral program in Computer Science, provided by the universities of Minho, Aveiro and Porto (www.map.edu.pt/i/home).
BMD is a SME that investigates and develops novel computational solutions for biomedicine (www.bmd-software.com). A young team, constituted mostly by PhDs, will provide a great and fruitful environment for the student. Besides, our collaboration with bioinformatics group of the University of Aveiro (bioinformatics.ua.pt), where the academic year will be conducted, constitutes also an excellent asset and complementary support.
MSc degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Informatics Engineering, or any other related area.
- Experience: candidates must not yet have a doctoral degree. For candidates currently involved in research, they must be in the first four years of their career.
- Mobility: candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity in Portugal for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to 1st Sep 2015.
- English proficiency (oral and written)
- Network Mobility: The student should be willing to conduct part of the research (two periods of 3 months each) in Antwerp, Belgium, and in Gondar, Ethiopia.
- Fulfil academic requirements to enrol the PhD program in Computer Science at the University of Aveiro (details at: www.map.edu.pt/i/home).
- Availability to start the scholarship, and to join BMD Software, on the 1st Sep 2015.
- A strong background in software engineering, information systems, and web computing.
- Enthusiastic student with high interest in information system, text/data mining, knowledge extraction, and biomedical informatics.
- An honours degree at Upper Second Class (2.1) or above. An IELTS score of 6,5 minimum (or equivalent) is recommended for candidates for whom English is not their first language.
The applications should be written in English and submitted to email@example.com. Further information about this position can be request to José Luis Oliveira (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) .
Application Deadline : 22 May 2015
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 2015-05-14 08:09:34
Please give reference of Scholarships-Links.com when applying for above scholarship.
Can't find a Scholarship, Search it here
Deadline : 31 October 2017
Deadline : 1 January 2018