PhD student position in bird biology and landscape ecology at the Institute of Nature Conservation, Polish Academy of Sciences, Kraków, Poland under the NCN (www.ncn.gov.pl) grant Sonata Bis.
• Master's thesis in the field of environmental biology (biology, ecology, geography)
• Preferred authorship/co-authorship of a scientific publication or active participation
• Advanced experience in GIS and statistical tools (including programming in R)
• Ability to think analytically and formulate conclusions independently
• Ability to work under stressful conditions,
• High motivation for further development, ability to work in a team
• Preparing and writing publications;
• Involvement in the realization of the grant basing on irregular working hours (availability)
• Advanced knowledge of English (both oral and written)
• Admission to doctoral studies (International Doctoral Studies in Natural Sciences at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Kraków;
Deadline for submitting applications is 31st July 2015).
We are looking for a person interested in participating in a research project entitled
“Interactive effects of the social information and landscape structure on the behaviour and distribution of animals” conducted under the grant SONATA BIS 4
and funded by the National Science Centre, Poland (NCN:www.ncn.gov.pl).
Patterns of distribution and abundance of many animals are usually considered to be the result of active selection of the physical and structural attributes of the habitat/landscape. However, the presence of species in the habitat can be dependent not only on the physical and structural characteristics, but also on the interactions with other individuals of the same or different species. Given that the environment is often highly variable, animals can increase their fitness via the selection of a habitat, basing on the so-called social and public information, possessed by other individuals or different species. However, very little is known about how social and public information shapes ecological processes. Moreover, the information can come from various sources, which may impair or enhance its value. The value of social and public information may depend especially on the degree of habitat heterogeneity, which is one of the fundamental characteristics of the environment. The aim of the project is to understand the relative effects of diverse social and public information types, the heterogeneity of the environment and the interaction between these two phenomena in shaping the distribution, density and biodiversity of organisms (birds).
Project manager: dr Piot Skórka (http://skorasp.republika.pl/page1.html)
- Full engagement in participation in large-scale field experiments and performing the wide range of activities (recording bird voices, analysis of sonograms, conducting experiments, statistical analysis),
- Performing of research documentation,
- Periodic reporting on progress.
- Learning modern methods and techniques used in biology (including advances GIS, statistics, ornithology),
- Participation in scientific activity of a group of highly motivated researchers,
- Participation in the international scientific conferences and stays,
- Applying for one’s own research grant under supervision of experienced scientists.
- Work in a newly formed research team
- Laboratory space and a place for work
- Basic facilities and services
- Support regarding research content and organization
- Friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment
- Work in a beautiful historic city with many scientific institutes and bustling social life.
NCN funding scheme: SONATA BIS 4 – NZ
Deadline for submitting applications: 31 July 2015, 00:00
Forms for submitting applications: via email (PDF, in the title of an email, please
enter "scholarship_surname”) and post (a signed version)
Conditions of employment:
- Salary in the form of a NCN scholarship (3000 PLN per month (this is gross value)),
- Starting date of employment: 1 October 2015;
- Duration of the project: 48 months;
Applications should be sent to:
dr Piotr Skórka
Instytut Ochrony Przyrody Polskiej Akademii Nauk
ul. Mickiewicza 31, 31-102 Kraków.
- Scientific curriculum vitae
- Scan of Master's diploma
- List of publications
- Cover letter
- Contact details of at least one academic who can provide a letter of reference.
Deadline for submitting documents: 31 July 2015
Application Deadline : 31 July 2015
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 2015-06-22 11:58:56
Please give reference of Scholarships-Links.com when applying for above scholarship.
Can't find a Scholarship, Search it here
Deadline : 31 October 2017
Deadline : 1 January 2018