The preliminary theme of the position is: Global Value Chains in Renewable Energy: Lead Firm Strategies for Sub-Saharan Africa.The PhD project will examine strategies of producers in China and Europe and their interconnections with users in sub-Saharan renewable energy markets. The project will give special attention to channels of supply for wind energy markets in Kenya. The PhD student will take part in a larger research project on ‘Innovation and Renewable Electrification in Kenya’ financed by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Further information about aims and focus of the project can be found at the project website: www.IREKproject.net.
The PhD-student will be enrolled at the Doctoral School of Social Sciences, Aalborg University and will be attached to the IKE group at the Department of Business and Management (see www.ike.aau.dk).
The workplace is Aalborg University, Campus Copenhagen. Some international fieldwork is required.
The Faculty of Social Sciences wishes to ensure that PhD scholarships provide career opportunities both within and outside of the university. For that reason, PhD scholarships are formed in a manner ensuring that the competencies achieved in the position qualifies to both a career within research and a career in the private and/or public sector.
The duration of the PhD scholarship is three years. Applicants to the PhD scholarship must hold a degree equivalent to a Danish Master’s degree. Applicants who expect to graduate before the date of appointment must forward documentation for the date of their final exam.
The PhD scholarship will be allocated to an individual who holds a relevant Masters degree in the Social Sciences, such as Economics, Business Administration, Economic Geography, Economic History, Innovation Studies or similar.
Applicants are expected to have strong analytical capabilities and exhibit a high degree of independence and maturity in their research work. Applicants are expected to demonstrate their academics skills. These include formulating good and relevant research questions, warranting these in the extant theoretical literature and provide initial ideas for a research design. Furthermore, applicants are expected to be able to teach in English at both bachelor and graduate level and to prepare the PhD-thesis in English.
Applicants are also expected to be capable of collaborating closely with industry and across cultures. Prior experience from working on China-Africa/EU-Africa relations is an advantage. Prior experience from working on the wind energy industry is also an advantage.
The completion of the scholarship will be in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities No 1039 of 27 August 2013 (only available in Danish), and it is a prerequisite for allocation of a scholarship that enrolment as a PhD student at the Doctoral School of Social Sciences takes place.
Applications must include the following:
- A personal statement, including the motives for the application, the ability to carry out the project (scientifically and personally) as well as ability to integrate theory and practice in research work.
- A preliminary project description (max 5 pages) giving a brief reflection of how the applicant would address the issues outlined under the topic. The project description should include: the research project title, an outline of the course of study and a description of the overall problem areas
- Applicant's curriculum vitae.
- A copy of the applicant's Master's degree certificate.
- A copy of the applicant's Master's degree thesis and published articles (if any).
- Foreign applicants must forward verified IELTS test (International English Language Testing System). Exempted are applicants with a Master's Degree from Denmark, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and Canada.
- Co-author statement. If publications that have been written in cooperation with others are submitted, a declaration from each of the authors must be enclosed. The declaration must state the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the total work and be signed by the authors.
- Two references informing about the applicant's personality and professional capabilities.
The applicants should be prepared to participate in an interview with researchers from Aalborg University.
The complete application including attachments shall be sent electronically by selecting the "apply online" function.
The assessment of the applicants will be undertaken by an expert assessment committee.
You may obtain further information regarding the academic contents of the position from Special Consultant Rasmus Lema, email: email@example.com.
If you have questions regarding the procedure of applying for the position, please contact secretary Lone Corfixen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline : 10 April 2016
PhD Position in Innovation and Sustainable Development : PDF
Posted on 2016-03-27 18:30:48
Please give reference of Scholarships-Links.com when applying for above scholarship.