The Cosmic Dawn Centre (DAWN) invites applications for PhD Fellow positions starting in September 2018. The fellowships are intended for outstanding candidates with a background in astronomy, physics, or related technical disciplines who are interested in doing research within DAWN’s research themes: high-redshift galaxy evolution, epoch of re-ionization, first stars and galaxies, dust and ISM in the early universe and dark matter. Positions are available for three years for candidates already holding a MSc, or for five years for candidates who would obtain both a MSc and PhD during their studies at DAWN.
DAWN is a new center of excellence funded by the Danish National Research Foundation, and is located at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen and at the Space division of the Danish Technical University (DTU-Space). The center brings together experts in all aspects of early Universe galaxy evolution and is deeply involved in major existing and upcoming surveys with HST, ALMA, Euclid and JWST, as well as cosmological and zoom in simulations.
In addition the center has a number of associate members at major research institutes across Europe, North America, and Australia. PhD students will have both an advisor in Copenhagen and an external advisor at one of our affiliated research institutes. Students will also be expected to spend several months outside of Denmark, which could be at one of our affiliated institutes or another major research intitute. Our most recent PhD students have used this time at Cornell, Hawaii, and Oxford.
Terms of salary, work, and employment
The employment is scheduled to start in the fall of 2018 or upon agreement with the chosen candidate.
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
• Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
• The starting salary for the 3-year Ph.D. is currently at a minimum DKK 312.879 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 43.219). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
How to apply
Applications are submitted electronically, via the University of Copenhagen's central employment pages by clicking APPLY NOW.
• A cover letter (optional)
• A statement describing your research interests and background as they relate to the Cosmic Dawn Center
• CV (including any publications)
• Diploma and transcripts of record (BSc/AB and MSc, if applicable)
• Full contact details (name, address, telephone, and email) of three professional referees.
• Applications received by 15 December 2017 will receive full consideration.
• Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview in January.
The research statement should not exceed 3 pages (text, figures and references included) with a font size no smaller than 11pt Times New Roman (or equivalent).
Selection of the successful candidates will be based on outstanding research accomplishments and promise of future achievement. We encourage applications from the best candidates irrespective of nationality, gender, or background.
Application Deadline : 15 December 2017
DAWN PhD fellowships at the Cosmic Dawn Center : PDF
Posted on 2017-11-10 06:30:06
Please give reference of Scholarships-Links.com when applying for above scholarship.